Guglielmo Giusti comes from a family of painters at least in three generations. He became a famous painter of the “Posillipo School”, who spent most of his life working in Naples, Italy. He specialized in views of Naples in Posillipo school’s technique and mostly pained with scarce, at that time, tempera oils, mastering of this technique requires an exceptional skill. Guglielmo Giusti’s works were quite often placed on display at the Naple’s art exhibitions and at 1859 he, as a student of the academy, was awarded with the silver medal for a piece of art that at 1877 was bought by the Royal Family of England and which was displayed in a National exhibition. Giusti worked with foreign customers, specifically those from England, which is why his works are available all around the World.
Guglielmo Giusti’s father Salvatore Giusti (1773 – 1851) was an ornomentalist and decorator and highly demanded by the most important Neapolitan aristocrats during his own time. His paintings can be found in the Naples Museum of Art. He was a pupil of Teodoro Duclere (1816 – 1867) who was not only a master of landscapes, but as well an author of popular costumes and scenes. In 1862 he became an adjunct professor at the Academy of Fine Arts in Naples. His name was so well known that some of his works were commissioned by the Czar of Russia.
“School of Posillipo”
It was a free group of painters, specializing mostly in landscapes. The school operated around the waterfront district of Posillipo. Landscapes at that time were more demanded than Catholic religious imagery.
At the beginning of 19th century the paintings mostly contained a recognizable mountain, volcano or peninsula but heading towards the end of the 19th century – a view on the crescent Napple’s bay.